Best Electric Toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes keep your gums and teeth healthier and give you a better smile, through a more thorough brushing than is possible with manual toothbrushes. No matter how well you may think you may be brushing your teeth, you will be surprised to know that not all the plaque and tartar lying in between your teeth and on the gum line is removed with manual brushing.
With so many brands and types of power toothbrushes available at varied prices, it can be difficult to choose the right one, so here are some reviews and a buying guide that will prove helpful in choosing the right electric toothbrush.
Electric Toothbrush Reviews
Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Rechargeable Toothbrush w/Deep Clean Mode with Adaptive Clean Brush Head
The Philips Sonicare power toothbrush could be just what you need to give a sparkling smile. Not only is it a power toothbrush, it is also a great whitening system with optimal plaque removal features.
There are 5 different brushing modes available – Clean, White, Deep Clean, Sensitive or Gum Care modes for customized and appropriate cleaning. There’s an additional Quad pacer that ensures each one-fourth part of your mouth is thoroughly cleaned. The brush also has a Smart timer which times how long you brush your teeth so that you brush for two minutes, as dentists recommend.
A rechargeable toothbrush, it has a charging travel case to carry along with you wherever you go. It can be charged by fixing it up to your laptop using a USB or through a wall outlet. The brush comes with a unique charging glass that charges the brush while the toothbrush rests in the glass. The glass is also useful for rinsing your mouth after brushing.
The brush works on sonic technology which is why the brush can produce 31,000 strokes in a single minute. This proves very helpful at removing the accumulated plaque on the teeth. As it’s not possible to do this manually, the brush removes 10 times more plaque than traditional brushes.
- Marked whitening of teeth within a week of use;
- Gum health improves in two weeks;
- One battery charge lasts for 3 weeks;
- Indicator light shows when battery is low;
- A choice of 5 different brushing procedures;
- Comes with Quad pacer and Smart timer.
- Can’t set the desired mode before placing the brush into your mouth;
- Vague instructions, especially about the timer and quadrant pulses;
- Charging indicator light is dull and difficult to see, even in the day.
Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 Electronic Power Rechargeable Battery Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity Powered by Braun
The Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 manufactured by Braun is perhaps one of the most sophisticated electrical toothbrushes in the market. When paired with your Smartphone, its Position Detection feature gives instant feedback of your brushing habits, and helps you know where you’ve brushed using facial recognition technology.
It has a 360 SmartRing with LED lights, which helps tailor your brushing experience using 12 colors and integrated timer and pressure sensors for feedback on stroking time and pressure. They ensure you brush for the suggested 2 minutes with the right pressure to cushion your gums from over-brushing.
There are 6 cleaning types to choose from to give you a tailored brushing experience. They are Daily Clean, Tongue Cleaning, Gum Care, Sensitive, Pro-Clean Mode and Whitening cleaning processes.
Its CrossAction toothbrush head is specially designed for a detailed clean, with its crisscross bristles assembled at a 16-degree angle. It extends deep between teeth to eliminate as much as 100% more plaque than traditional toothbrushes.
The Smart Travel Case can be used for simultaneously charging your toothbrush and Smartphone using only one wall power outlet. It protects your gums from possible over-brushing by automatically slowing down its brush speed and giving alerts.
- Pairs with your Smartphone and uses Position Detection to ensure you do not miss a zone while brushing;
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed with a 60-day refund guarantee;
- Consistent cleaning action for a maximum of 12 days between charges;
- Offers 6 cleaning methods;
- Bluetooth compatible;
- Has a SmartRing, integrated timer and pressure sensors;
- Charge with your Smartphone.
- IOS app not available in some places;
- Detection feature doesn’t track properly;
- Timer turns off while brushing;
- Inaccurate pressure sensor.
Smilex AU-300E Ultrasonic Electric Toothbrush
The Smilex AU-300E Dual Frequency Ultrasonic Electrically Powered Toothbrush is the redesigned and improved version of the unique patented Sonex Ultrasonic Toothbrush. It is, today, the newest and most state-of-the-art ultrasonic toothbrush available and decreases plaque by 97% with the first brushing.
It merges 96 million ultrasonic pulses in a minute with 18,000 Sonic vibrations, also in one minute, to thoroughly clean and whiten your teeth while eliminating gum line plaque. Prevents and reduces bleeding gums and gingivitis. Unlike most electrically powered toothbrushes, the Smilex does not ask for any special toothpastes.
The Smilex ultrasonic toothbrush runs on an easily recharged, durable NIMH battery, the type of battery that is used to run hybrid vehicles. There is no need of hard scrubbing as its ultrasound technology and gentle brushing dislodges plaque above and below the gum line with minimal effort on your part. In fact, it needs only 30 days to reduce and prevent bleeding gums and gingivitis by as much as 28%.
The toothbrush comes with two brush heads: one which is meant for gentle or rigorous brushing and the other is a massaging head. This is perhaps the only ultrasonic powered toothbrush that doesn’t require using any special toothpaste while brushing.
- Works by combining 96 million infiltrating supersonic waves with high frequency bristle movements;
- Gets rid of plaque by 97% with first use;
- Sonicare ultrasound technology dislodges plaque above and below gum line;
- Comes with a limited 1-year warranty and Unlimited Forever Warranty;
- 2 types of brush heads;
- No special toothpaste needed.
- Its 110V charger is not compatible in some countries;
- Green light toothbrush does not work in the second position;
- Too small motor that tends to give pauses while brushing.
Oral-B White Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
The Oral-B White Pro 1000 from Braun eliminates 300% more plaque than a conventional toothbrush. Its CrossAction circular brush head is professionally designed to provide an efficient cleaning of individual teeth.
With bristles that are placed at a crisscross and 16-degree angle, the toothbrush easily reaches right in between teeth for a more complete cleaning. The brush’s 3D cleaning action removes and breaks down plaque through oscillations, rotations and pulsations. It has a pressure sensor light that prevents over-brushing by lighting up and alerting you if you brush too hard.
The electric tooth brush runs on a single mode but it also has an in-handle timer that keeps track of all your movements while you brush to ensure you brush your teeth for the dentist’s suggested two minutes. The timer also buzzes every half-minute to remind you to move to the next one-fourth of your mouth.
Though brought to you by Oral-B, it is compatible with various replacement toothbrush heads like 3D White, PowerTip, Deep Seep and Dual Clean. The brush has a base for placing the toothbrush when not in use, which is also its charger. Once the battery is charged, it can work for seven days, with regular use.
- Breaks up and removes more plaque than conventional toothbrushes;
- Single Daily Clean mode;
- Its in-handle timer reminds to move to the next quadrant every half a minute;
- Its pressure sensor prevents over- and hard brushing;
- Not only vibrates but also spins;
- Can be used with various replacement toothbrush heads;
- Has a built-in pressure sensor and timer.
- Some find the brush’s 30 second/2-minute interval annoying;
- Extension cable is too long to tuck into its base;
- Head’s spinning action quickly wears out brush heads.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean has the capability to make your teeth look whiter by eliminating any stains produced by food products like coffee, tea and red wine, and even tobacco in just 7 days of continuous use. It runs on unique sonic and advanced brush head technologies and offers 5 brushing modes for you to choose from for a personalized brushing experience.
Its diamond-shaped bristles ensure the best stain removal while its quad pacer beeps to take care that you attentively brush each one-fourth part of your mouth. It also has a smart timer which reminds you to brush for the doctor’s defined two minutes.
The Sonicare DiamondClean brushes at 31,000 brush movements in a minute to get rid of 100% more plaque than traditional brushing to give healthy gums in a matter of fifteen days. You can conveniently carry it along while travelling as it comes with a charging travel case that makes it convenient to carry your brush along with you while travelling.
The brush can be charged through your laptop using a USB or charged by a wall outlet. There’s a charging glass that is useful for both charging and rinsing your teeth after brushing.
- Works on patented sonic and advanced brush head technologies;
- Comes with a travel case for convenient travelling;
- Can be charged using your laptop or wall outlet;
- Its timer helps remind you to brush your teeth for two minutes.
- No rubberized button overlaying the ‘on’ button, making it susceptible to water leakage.
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries Black Electronic Power Rechargeable Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity Powered by Braun
The Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries Toothbrush is the world’s first electrically powered toothbrush that has Bluetooth connectivity. Once the Oral-B app is downloaded to your Smartphone and your brush is connected, you get actual feedback on your brushing style: it not only proves helpful at removing plaque, but is also effective at getting rid of any doubts you may have about your brushing style!
It can also sense and give beeps if you brush too hard, and give motivational oral care tips. Its bristles are perfectly angled on a CrossAction round brush head to give an optimal and precise clean through rotations, oscillations and pulsations.
There are 6 cleaning procedures for you to select from for a personalized brushing experience and there is a pressure sensor to alert you if you brush too hard.
A timer helps keep track and ensure you brush for two minutes, as is suggested by dentists. It is compatible with various replacement toothbrush heads like Sensitive Clean, Deep Sweep and Dual Clean. It also keeps records of your brushing habits by storing 6 months of brushing data in graphs and charts. Your brushing progress is timed to later discuss brushing changes with your dentist.
- Bluetooth connectivity gives actual feedback of your brushing style;
- Comes with a travel case for added convenience while travelling;
- Its charging station has a storage space meant for storing refill heads;
- Compatible with various replacement toothbrush heads;
- Sensor informs you when you over-brush.
- Stops for 1-2 seconds in the middle of brushing;
- Useless tongue mode;
- Charger is not meant for 240V outlets.
Philips Sonicare FlexCare+ Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare toothbrush provides the complete, superior cleaning solution for your teeth. Clinical studies prove that it can improve gum health in just two weeks using its unique sonic technology and 5 brushing types.
Its Gum Care mode not only gives an overall 2-minute cleaning, but also spends another minute gently cleaning problem areas along the gum line. This helps reduce gum bleeding and inflammation. Along with the ‘Massage’ procedure, you will be able to massage and stimulate gums for improved gum health.
Everyday cleaning of your teeth is done through the “Clean” process. If you are looking for an instant touch-up before a special event, use the ‘Refresh’ mode, while those with sensitive teeth and gums should opt for the “Sensitive” procedure.
There is no possibility of using the wrong type of brushing process as this brush has a special backlight that lights up once a specific mode is selected. The same display becomes invisible when switched off to give a clean look to the brush.
While its Sonic technology invigorates gums by producing 31,000 strokes a minute, its contoured brush head removes gum line plaque. Its Quad pacer and Smart timer ensures a consistent cleaning of your mouth following your dentist’s suggested brushing time of 2 minutes.
- Runs on patented sonic technology that produces 31,000 brush strokes a minute;
- Quad pacer and Smart timer thoroughly clean teeth;
- Unique backlighting displays your selected mode and turns invisible when switched off;
- Lasts for as long as 3 weeks in between charges;
- Choose from 5 different cleaning processes.
- Many complaints of the charger not working properly;
- Tends to randomly buzz when switched on.
Oral-B Pro 6000 SmartSeries Electronic Power Rechargeable Battery Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity Powered by Braun
Looking for a power toothbrush? The Oral-B Pro 6000 electrical toothbrush from Braun is worth considering. It offers 5 brushing procedures for you to choose from for an individualized brushing experience.
Its multifunctional 360° LED Light SmartRing gives visual feedback of the readings on the pressure sensor. It also makes it possible for the Bluetooth connection and brushing timer to be seen from anywhere.
Download the Oral-B Smartphone app and use its Bluetooth connectivity to program the brush to light up with your choice of one of 12 colors while brushing. With Bluetooth connectivity, this electrically powered toothbrush provides for 2-way contact between the brush and the Smartphone it is connected with.
The Oral-B Smart Series 6000 boasts of removing 300% more plaque on the gum line with its 3D cleaning action that comprises of multiple vibrations, pulses and rotations, using its Cross-Action brush head which surrounds the teeth with bristles angled at 16 degrees. Its ‘cigar-case’ type travel case helps keep your brush and its head organized while traveling.
The brush also has pressure sensor technology which automatically reduces the brush speed and gives visual alerts upon over-brushing. This helps prevent excessive brushing and possible consequent gum line exposure.
- Removes stains with first use to give white teeth;
- Comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee and gives a full refund if returned within 60 days of purchase;
- 5 cleaning modes meant for specific brushing actions;
- Multicolor SmartRing customizes pressure and timing;
- Lithium Ion battery charges with lightning-fast speed.
- Faulty and weak cap design that may snap and lead to leakages;
- Bluetooth feature only increases rate but no improved features as app only duplicates the brush’s menu features.
Philips Sonicare 2 Series Plaque Control Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare 2 Series Toothbrush is what your dentist may recommend to get rid of all the accumulated plaque on your teeth, and in the process, help avoid cavities. It is safe to use even on any dental work on your teeth, like veneers, implants and orthodontics. It safely eliminates as much as 6 times the amount of plaque traditional toothbrushes can remove.
It runs on unique sonic technology that produces a maximum of 31,000 strokes in one minute to easily and effectively remove any debris found in between your teeth and along the gum line. Its ergonomic handle and ingrained grip provides for a comfortable and easy grip while its dual color battery charge indicator notifies you when it is time for a recharge.
The power toothbrush has a Smart timer that encourages 2 minutes brushing as recommended by dentists. Its easy start feature makes it easy transitioning from a conventional to a power toothbrush by slowly increasing its power with the first 14 uses.
The toothbrush has a thin, angled brush head which can easily reach into all the hard-to-reach places. In addition to this, its curved bristles match the shape of the teeth to give superior brushing.
- Has an ergonomic handle and comfortable, intrinsic grip;
- Curved bristles match the shape of the teeth to give a superior clean;
- Safe for use on orthodontics, veneers, implants and veneers;
- 2 years’ global warranty with 90 days money-back guarantee;
- Ergonomic handle.
- Needs 48 hours to charge battery from 0 to 100%;
- No travel case;
- Primitive battery level indicator.
Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity Powered by Braun
The Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries toothbrush is another dental product from Braun. It boasts of Bluetooth connectivity that connects with your Smartphone for instant feedback about your oral habits. The benefit of this feature is that you will get to know if you need to make some changes in the way you brush your teeth or if you are brushing your teeth in the proper manner.
Its Floss Action brush head with micro plus bristles provides for a better, interdental, floss-like brushing when compared to conventional brushing. However, it should be known that this does and cannot replace your regular flossing. Its 3D cleaning action breaks up and removes plaque through oscillations, pulsations and rotations.
It has a pressure sensor that alerts you if you brush too hard by lighting up, and in the process, helps prevent over-brushing. There are a total of 5 different brushing styles for you to choose from and a timer that keeps a track of how long you brush your teeth.
This way, you get to know if you have brushed your teeth for your dentist’s suggested two minutes or not. It’s compatible with most replacement toothbrush heads like FlossAction, Dual Clean and 3D White.
- The power toothbrush comes with Bluetooth connectivity for instant guidance about your brushing habits;
- Floss Action head and micro-plus bristles give a much better brushing;
- Breaks up and removes much more plaque than traditional brushing;
- Compatible with various replacement toothbrush heads;
- Smart timer times and ensures a 2 minute brushing, as requested by dentists;
- 3D cleaning action.
- Keeps on stopping and starting while brushing;
- Makes a lot of noise when in use;
- Too rough movements lead to frequent bumping of teeth;
- Brush is too clunky and big to reach the back of the mouth.
Differences Between Manual And Electric Toothbrushes
There are various pros and cons related to traditional and electrically powered toothbrushes which have to be considered to compare and discover their individual benefits and flaws.
Manual Toothbrush Advantages
- There are a variety of toothbrush styles, colors and heads to choose from;
- No charging or changing of batteries;
- No carrying a charger or batteries while travelling;
- It is cheaply priced, making it affordable to everyone and convenient to change toothbrushes after 3 months of use.
Manual Toothbrush Disadvantages
- More effort involved while brushing teeth;
- You have to guess if you have brushed your teeth long enough;
- Gives a thorough cleaning ONLY if you brush your teeth properly, for the dentist’s recommended 2 minutes;
- Does not remove plaque as well as power toothbrushes;
- Improper cleaning of teeth may lead to more cavities and dental visits.
Electric Toothbrush Advantages
- The toothbrush does all the work once you place it at a 45° angle;
- Children enjoy its ticklish effects making brushing much more fun and easier for them;
- Most electrically powered toothbrushes have a built-in timer that stops the toothbrush after your doctor’s suggested two minutes of brushing;
- Does a much better job at removing plaque and preventing gingivitis;
- Better maintenance of teeth, which means reduced dental visits and treatment.
Electric Toothbrush Disadvantages
- Costs more than conventional toothbrushes;
- Can be a hassle while travelling as you have to carry its charger.
Though both types of toothbrushes have their respective pros and cons, a few studies that were conducted prove that power toothbrushes remove more plaque than manual toothbrushes.
This is the main benefit of power toothbrushes over manual toothbrushes as it helps you give a better fight against gum disease and prevent it too. This in turn means electrical toothbrushes are a better choice as they lead to improved oral health, and reduced dental treatments.
What To Consider When Buying An Electric Toothbrush
There are a few important features you need to compare to choose the best electrically powered toothbrush for yourself.
Battery life is an important feature to consider while choosing your electric toothbrush. Obviously, brushes that last longer with a single charge or battery change are a better choice.
The battery-powered models are cheaper than rechargeable battery models and do not have the hassles of periodic recharging. This makes it convenient to use while travelling as you just need to carry extra batteries.
However, the rechargeable battery models have a longer battery life and come with additional features like timer, brushing modes and sensors. However, you need to make sure you find out how long the rechargeable toothbrushes need for recharging, and how long the battery lasts once charged.
While experts claim that a single mode is sufficient for general cleaning, many people prefer buying power toothbrushes with various modes like massage, sensitive and quick brushing modes, which proves useful when they need a quick brush. Some of the top-end models also offer additional whitening and gum care modes.
Electric toothbrushes help give a good clean because of its brushstroke rate. It’s not possible or practical to manually brush your teeth by making thousands of brush strokes.
Most electric toothbrushes have a speed of up to 31,000 brushstrokes-per-minute which dentists recommend for a fresh and clean feeling. There are also some models which may clean your mouth at a speed of up to 40,000 strokes per minute.
As electric toothbrushes come with the continual costs of buying replacement heads, it’s better to choose a durable power toothbrush with strong handles and made using strong material.
Choose your electric toothbrush based on the smart features it has. This means it’s better to buy models with apps which, when downloaded, guide and help implement better brushing habits.
Brushes with a timer make sure you brush your teeth for two minutes and pressure sensors that prevent over-brushing and pressurizing your tooth’s enamel are also worthy features in a power toothbrush.
A travel case is a valuable accessory if you are a frequent traveler as it proves helpful at keeping your toothbrush safe and hygienic while travelling. Charging glasses are also helpful as a base for charging your toothbrush and can also be used for rinsing after brushing. Portable chargers are also a plus feature.
Replacement Brush Heads
It’s better to choose an electrically powered toothbrush that’s compatible with various affordable replacement brush heads.
Your brush head has to be replaced once in three months or after an illness. Make sure the replacement brush heads come with bristles suiting your preferred health needs like sensitive, brace care and floss action.
Which Is Better – A Cheap Or Expensive Electric Toothbrush?
While comparing the costs and features of different electric toothbrushes, you naturally wonder which is better – a cheap or expensive brush. Well, while power toothbrushes were once expensive to the common man, there are now many cheap, lower cost power toothbrushes available, which everyone can afford.
Besides, it’s not always necessary that a more expensive toothbrush be the better one. Clinical studies have proven that some of the most reasonably priced electrical brushes, that cost about $10, remove as much, if not more plaque than expensive models.
So, in a nutshell, electrical toothbrushes are now affordable, and can be relied on to work and clean your teeth just as efficiently as expensive ones. It’s better if you make your choice based on reviews of how effective and dependable the brush is with continual use, and not make your choice just based on its cost.
In a nutshell, despite their price, power toothbrushes do provide a better brushing experience than a manual toothbrush. In fact, many give similar results to a professional dental cleaning service, like stain removal, sensitive mode for sensitive teeth and other features which are not available in manual toothbrushes.
Comparing the features will assist you in purchasing the best electric toothbrush, which makes it worthwhile as it reduces the amount you would have otherwise spent on dental visits and treatments like filling cavities and root canals!